Re: A few comments regarding Gnome-shell

Hi Jürgen,

I do not comprehend the advantages of the menu on top approach (apple approach). With high resolution, big screens and several (not maximised) windows, the distance i have to move the mouse grows much higher.

My experience with top-panel menus has been that yes, they're farther away but no, they're not more difficult to reach because I could "throw" the cursor to the top of the screen and be sure it would land on the menu.

As for the advantages, I think it would go well with Gnome3's efforts to remove clutter and distractions, by hiding every menubar except for the one from the active window. Seriously, I can't recall ever having wanted to open the menubar of an inactive window, partly because in most cases they're half-hidden anyway and you need to raise the window first, so why not go all the way and hide them entirely?

Also, I think it would give purpose to the top panel. Right now you have the application's name over there, and get a single "Quit" option when you click it, which looks sad and lonely to me. I don't know if there are any other plans for that, though.