Scalable icon independent of current used theme

Hi all,

I'd like to use a scalable icon (utilities-timer-symbolic.svg) in my
current extension. I want to put the icon in a place independent of the
current used theme. http://developer.gnome.org/icon-theme-spec
(Directory Layout) states that one appropriate folder would be
/usr/share/icons/hicolor/scalable/apps. But on my machine (GNOME Shell
3.0.2) it fails to retrieve the icon image.
/usr/share/icons/gnome/scalable/apps works, but does it because gnome is
my current theme or does it always work?

this._logo = new St.Icon({ icon_name: 'utilities-timer', style_class:
'system-status-icon', icon_type: St.IconType.SYMBOLIC});

Someone mentioned using gtk-update-icon-cache ... what is the best approach?

Thanks in advance!

Ole