Re: Terminology (was: Re: Some small ideas for the Shell Panel and Overview)

On Wed, Apr 13, 2011 at 2:16 PM, Adam Williamson <awilliam redhat com> wrote:
> Looking at context, I think you're right - thanks for the catch. My
> answer is almost the same, though - I never use that at all, and I agree
> with you and John that it seems completely useless. It's always felt to
> me like something that was put in because no-one could think of anything
> much better to go there. =)
>
> In An Ideal World it could maybe replace menu bars in apps entirely, a
> bit like the 'Office' button in recent MS Office releases, but I don't
> see that happening any time this millennium.

Of course you've never used it -- nobody has because it's just a stub
and doesn't do anything useful yet. The point of it is that they're
going to expand it's usefulness later on.

I personally would like to see apps have the ability to add arbitrary
menu items in there, because my app is at a point where it's just
coming out of it's infancy, and I've avoided adding a menubar at all
because the toolbar was good enough for the limited number of features
that I've had so far, but as the app expands and matures, I have
greater need for a menu. I'd prefer to put my menu into the shell's
Application menu rather than using a traditional GtkMenuBar because
those are quite ugly and outmoded, really.

--
http://exolucere.ca