Re: Is the Minimize button still useful with gnome-shell ?

Le samedi 20 mars 2010 à 18:12 +0100, Rovanion Luckey a écrit :

> I agree; there isn't much of a point to minimizing. Replacing it with
> something that sends it to another workspace/icon-ifies it or
> something would be a better idea.

This (sending to another workspace) is not for me a good idea.
Gnome-Shell helps me to simply organize my activities. Generally, I have
9 workspaces with different activities. Each workspace is associated
with one activity or sub-activity (activity: photo management,
sub-activities; scan, control and first modifications, stitch, ...).
When I manage my photos, I appreciate a lot to be able to minimize one
window when I know that the result will be long to get (huge stitch for
example) as I do not want to be disturbed in the same workspace by this
window which will only be useful in the future.
What I appreciate a lot is to be able in one gesture to control the
progress of several windows (minimized or not) with one view in the grid
overview (my default view).
This is the reason I do not want to see all my minimized windows in a
same workspace (or elsewhere than the original workspace) as all my
workspaces have a specific goal. When I want to see the progress of a
stitch (minimized or not, hidden or not, in the current workspace or
not), I know exactly where to look at, always the same part of the grid,
all this made without disturbing my current activity (minimized windows
remain minimized, and current workspace remains current after the same
gesture).

So, what I appreciate in Gnome-Shell is to be able with one same
gesture:
- to change from one activity to another one
- to control the progress of all my activities (minimized or not, hidden
or not by another window), sometimes with the help of the mouse wheel
- when needed, to change the status of a window from minimized or hidden
to current in the foreground
- to move a windows from a workspace to another one for activities that
have no specific workspace

This is what makes me switch from years with KDE to Gnome-Shell.

--
Stéphan Peccini
Les photos : <URL:http://photonature.fr>