Re: Editing the look/style/theme etc of gnome shell suggestion ... ...

Hi Dan,

On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 3:54 PM, dan <techno-mole ntlworld com> wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I have been editing the style sheet that controls the look of gnome shell,
> and thinking about easy ways that new styles etc could be applied to it,
> it's pretty much inevitable that people will want to change the look of it,
> so how to easily apply a new look ?

It'd certainly be possible to have say a gconf preference for a theme
path, wouldn't be a difficult patch.

> One way is the way me and others have been doing it, backing up the theme
> folder etc and then overwriting it with the edited css etc, this may not be
> that easy for some people, and to be honest it is a little bit of a hassle.

If you're talking about developing the default UI, it's by far easiest
to simply edit data/theme/gnome-shell.css in place, then do Alt-F2,
type 'r', press Return.

> One last thing before I go, the panel, would there be plans to allow it to
> auto hide ? (if not it's a feature I'd request) and on the panel subject
> would it be possible to have an option to switch the time to 24 hour mode
> please, I prefer that layout (as do a lot of others) and editing the
> panel.js is a pain in the backside every time you update it, please. thank
> you.

Can you try the latest code for the time?  We should do a bit better
at autodetecting 24h locales now.