Re: Finding and Reminding, tech issues, 3.0 and beyond

Dnia 2010-04-14, śro o godzinie 17:10 +0200, Alexander Larsson pisze:
> >   The other approach is when expiring or archiving to move files
> >   from ~/Desktop to an archival location like ~/Documents.
>
> I don't have much time to participate in this discussion atm, but i'd
> like to point out here that the current implementation of the nautilus
> desktop is done as a "virtual" location that merges various sources. It
> would not be hard to let it contain any random set of files given a way
> to locate them. Of course, this would make the "desktop" folder not very
> useful, and would need similar work in the file selector.

Users using /apps/nautilus/preferences/desktop_is_home_dir = on
(like me) don't even have ~/Desktop directory at all.

> I'm personally of the opinion that we should use a separate store for
> such metadata, and then index this with tracker. Which is why i created
> the gvfs metadata storage:
>
> http://blogs.gnome.org/alexl/2009/06/24/data-about-data/

If I understand correctly you are using separate file to store metadata.
What is behind this decision? Why don't you use VFS Extended attributes?