Application menu / switcher

Dnia 2010-04-15, czw o godzinie 11:35 -0400, Mark Curtis pisze:
> "but are they really necessary on a Day to Day Base? Me thinks not ;)"
> I don't use accessibility features on a day to day base, guess that
> means no one else does and therefore GNOME Shell shouldn't use it.

If you need accessibility features - you turn it on.
If you need dock - you install it.

> I don't like this title "Do/not implement Dock" I mean, I personally
> would like SOME SORT of window switcher, even if it weren't
> specifically a dock.

This is exactly what I'm advocating for.
We should come up with a nice design for a fast applications switcher,
not mindlessly copy-paste dock/taskbar because everyone else uses it.

> I loved the idea of breadcrumbs, but the GNOME devs would rather just
> waste the space right of the Activities menu to show you the active
> application and maybe some mysterious 'menu' if they ever get around
> to it.

That's just unfair. You shouldn't bash developers, because they did not
implement a planned feature yet. Please be constructive and encouraging.

GTK+ already has infrastructure for removing the application from its
menu. See: http://code.google.com/p/gnome2-globalmenu/
I think it should be integrated in GnomeShell.

The way I see it:
http://codex.xiaoka.com/~smoku/tmp/app_menu_mockup.png
(a bit crude but I'm no artist)