Re: Proposal: Use Ubuntu's MeMenu and Session Menu in the top panel

Hello Apoorva,

On 04/04/2010 06:24 PM, Apoorva Sharma wrote:
These two menus are a great innovation that makes the gnome desktop very easy to use and modern (integrated with the web). Is it possible to use these menus, by porting them to look like the System Status menus?

I think it would be an improvement
_______________________________________________ gnome-shell-list mailing list gnome-shell-list gnome org http://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gnome-shell-list
The main problem with that is that those applets aren't exactly "available upstream" and are designed specifically for Ubuntu. For example, the MeMenu is designed to integrate with Ubuntu's default applications, and we shouldn't require that people be using these applications. Plus, these panel applets are unnecessary because GNOME Shell already includes most of their functionality elsewhere, making it redundant to re-code those applets into _javascript_ (which GNOME Shell is written in, as far as I know). A better idea would be to use the future Add-Ons system to allow the search bar in the GNOME Shell overlay to integrate with Gwibber/Pino/whatever application(s) you choose.

We appreciate your proposal (regardless of the fact that I'm not on the development team), but doing this is rather unnecessary at this point.

     - Ryan Peters, GNOME Shell Tester