What do you think about this? Don't you think the way of gnome-shell is wrong?

Let's consider the following "activity": IM conversation. Let we need to compute something with calculator/enter special character/etc within conversation. It's such a small task, and we easily can perform it in "old good" gnome-2.28: Applications->Accessories->(Calculator/Character Map/etc). Very simple and very smooth. But what we would to do with gnome-shell? We would get horrible flashy overlay when launching what completely breakes context, then do the same as we now do. Don't you think the cost is too large?