Re: Trying the shell

2009/11/22 Mark Curtis <merkinman hotmail com>:
> So basically "We don't care what you want, we're doing it this way"?

No, just “this is why we're doing it this way”.

Clarifying what the current UI can do and attempting to explain the
design rationale behind it is not equivalent to saying the current UI
will never change.

Arguments for why the UI should behave some other way are always welcome.

Incidentally, the rationale behind removing custom applets from the
top bar is: to make sure the top bar is system-owned, well-designed
and consistent; and to prevent applications trying to misuse it as a
branding opportunity.

I'm regurgitating all this from the design document (via memory):
http://www.gnome.org/~mccann/shell/design/