Re: Updating to the latest version / rolling back to a working one

Le vendredi 15 mai 2009 à 06:47 +0100, Ross Smith a écrit :
> Hi folks,
>
> Could I ask for some help for a git newbie?  I tried to get the latest
> version yesterday, but gnome-shell just kept crashing, which after
> lurking on the IRC channel, I guess is a bug in the current build.
>
> Could I ask:
> - Does running jhbuild download and compile the latest code each time,
> or does it just re-compile what I have?
> - Do I need to run git fetch or something to get updates?
'jhbuild build' runs 'git fetch' on all packages and then rebuilds them
automatically. So you don't need to update the local git repository
manually. You may also want to call 'jhbuild buildone gnome-shell' if
you don't want to update all the other packages. If you have strange
bugs, you should try 'jhbuild build -ac' so that all packages are
reconfigured too - sometimes it really helps.

> - Can I roll back to an earlier commit if the latest is broken?  Is
> "git log --summary" the best way to see where to go back to?
Sure, go to the gnome-shell source dir, and type 'git reset --hard
REVISION'. 'git log' gives you the identifier of the revision you may
want to try, just copy/paste it.

> - I used these instructions to install breadcrumbs:
> http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-shell-list/2009-May/msg00037.html
>   But I couldn't revert back to master, instead I had to use "git
> checkout master -f".  Is that normal?
Normally that shouldn't happen if you did not edit files. But using -f
is not a problem if you don't fear to lose modifications you may have
done to the source tree.

> And finally, the big one:
> - Is there any danger of me breaking the repository?  I really hope I
> have read only access.
No problem, the repository is obviously not open to anybody in the
world. You need to authenticate using SSH keys, and not all of us have
even direct access to it. We use personal repositories to avoid breaking
the main one with this kind of mistake...

So you can play as you want with the sources, you can still get them
clean again from the repo! ;-)