Re: updated shell ideas - wireframes

Le jeudi 04 juin 2009 à 12:30 -0400, Jeremy Perry a écrit :
> Hi list,
> Here are some changes to round 2 in response to some feedback and
> further thinking. I added the new stuff to the top of the page.
I like quite well the first version, so I'm only going to criticize the
points that seem questionable - I don't fully support the others.

[...]
> - Collapse Places and Devices into one section.
That may make sense since some devices are just mount points, and so are
some folders; but OTOH we may expect to add more features specific to
devices in the future. For example, a blank CD-R should be presented
with a button "Start disc burner", a portable media player with
something like "Start music player", and maybe nice shortcuts like
scanning, configuring audio for bluetooth headphones, etc. So I wonder
whether that justifies to put devices in a separate category, or if it
would be good to add those options even when devices are listed with
folders.

> - Recent Items more than just docs (web history is shown here too but
> might be overloaded too easily?)
You've already seen the problem! ;-) I'd rather keep the Web history separate. It
would be better anyway to show most visited sites rather than most recent
(just like we do for apps), since you rarely browse so few sites that
you want to go to the last one on the list. I'm sure web browsers can
provide us with such an information, maybe via Zeitgeist. We could also use
a specific bookmark folder, just like the Toolbar does now, so that the list
is customized manually.

> - Considered more useful "titles" in recent items - if we can
> intelligently choose a better title than filename we should
Sure.

Please continue to provide us with ideas!