Re: All GNOME Shell Developers.

Hi!

OK, let's have a constructive discussion, no ranting...

I have followed this taskbar discussion for quite long but have just
recently been able to use gnome-shell on my netbook (still driver issues
on the desktop computer) with the version included in Fedora 12. As far
as I have seen from screenshots this isn't much different to master for
the points I want to make.

App Switching:
The main problem I see here is that we (and Microsoft and Apple kindof)
have educated people that there is a task bar and that it is the way to
switch between apps.
Now using the shell for me is great, it took about half an hour to get
used to the overlay concept and on Intel Hardware it is also really
fast.
Last week though, my roommate (23 years, student, no computer affinity)
came home and told me to setup her wireless because her father had
reinstalled her computer. To my suprise, he simply dropped Windows and
installed Ubuntu on it. Apart from setting up the wireless (which she
supposely hadn't managed on Windows anyway) she didn't care much at all
because everything worked more or less as expected.
I though to myself how long it would have taken her to find out how the
workflow is in gnome-shell and I think quite long. Remember, usually
nobody helps a new computer user unless he works for some organisation
that gives him training. I mostly learning by doing.
Using Alt-Tab is no alternative either as for most non-geeks
keyboard-shortcut are black-magic. If you sometimes help people writing
texts etc. you will really get interesting looks just for using Ctrl-C
and friends.
So, IMHO it would be great if gnome-shell would include some kind of
taskbar. I don't like braincrumps too much and I am more fond of the way
Ubuntu Netbook Remix works, with one full name of the focused
application and showing only the icon of the others. I think every panel
has enough space for such things.

Application starting:
I personally don't see much problems here. A new user will sooner or
later click on "Activities" anyway and things are quite easy to
understand from that point. The menu is very slow in the version I use
but it was mentioned that things work a bit different now. Starting
application is nothing that takes up a bit part of the time you work in
front of a computer so even is this might be a bit slower but therefore
much nicer to handle and don't think that's a problem.

Thanks for reading,
Johannes