Re: People Overlay

> Sorry, I'm not sure if what I'm gonna say is stupid but I believe that
> the most interesting service that Telepathy offers is tunneling,
> tubes. Telepathy looks like a system that goes beyond IM, it allows
> for communication with other local applications and different,
> pluggable, online servers. It makes me think of Gstreamer. I'm not
> sure but perhaps there could be some overlapping between Telepathy and
> People if there's no care.

There is overlap indeed.

> What would happen if new protocol plugins for Telepathy were created
> so that you can add Twitter, Facebook, Google and Evolution accounts?
> They can provide access to contacts that perhaps you can't IM with but
> that you can interact by using other services that Telepathy might
> allow. Wouldn't this conflict with People project?

Telepathy is designed for real-time communications. Managing contact
lists is a side effect of this goal. That is why I think it is not a
good idea to try to implement Google Contacts in Telepathy. People is
not designed to take over the real time communications aspect of
Telepathy, only to integrate the Contact lists of Telepathy as one
source of contacts.

I hope I clarified this. If you have any remarks, please contact me.

Kind Regards

Thomas