Re: Proceeding [Re: Metacity, Mutter, GNOME Shell, GNOME-2.28]

[desktop-devel-list dropped from the CC:]

On Tue, 2009-04-07 at 15:06 -0400, Owen Taylor wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-03-23 at 16:41 -0400, Owen Taylor wrote:
> > 2) Mutter could be renamed as a project to mutter (binary, GConf schemas,
> > etc. Presumably, the internals would stay Meta*) and imported into GNOME
> > version control independently of metacity. The uncomposited and RENDER
> > code paths would gradually be removed leaving just a Clutter based WM/CM.
> > The main disadvantage of this approach is that any ongoing maintenance
> > of Metacity would not feed from or to this project automatically.
>
> There seemed to be at least rough consensus of those working on Mutter
> around this approach. So I'll start implementing it.
>
> Steps:
>
>  * Create a repository based on the git.gnome.org import of Metacity
>  * Rebase the metacity-clutter changes onto it
>  * Do a final merge of recent Metacity changes
>  * Import the result into git.gnome.org as 'mutter' (before actually
>    doing the internal renames)

I've now done these steps. With a lot of tedious work so that all the
merges were preserved as accurately as possible

The result can be seen:

  http://git.gnome.org/cgit/mutter

Please take a look and see if it looks good.

Some notes:

 - The final commit is a merge of gnome-2-26 branch. It was a
   straightforward merge but I haven't actually tested it.
   Everything else is literally identical to what was in
   the metacity-clutter repository.

   I decided to merge gnome-2-26 rather than head, since it seemed
   like a better place to diverge - I didn't want to pick up half
   finished changes just being started on the gnome-2-27 line.

 - All the rebased commits have:

committer Owen W. Taylor <otaylor fishsoup net> 2009-04-08 19:16:50
(GMT)

   Instead of the committer and commit date of the original. The
   author and author dates are fine.

   The main downside of this is that the dates appear wrong in cgit.
   It's not too easy to fix ... one easy thing I could do is make the
   committer and commit date equal to the author and author date
   for everything. Which would be less strictly accurate than the
   current version, but less jarring as well.

 - I deleted all Metacity branches other than a single master branch

 - I deleted all Metacity tags not on the master branch

 - I deleted some tags from the metacity-clutter repository that didn't
   seem needed. clutter-0-9-pre-merge or whatever.

 - I carried over the release-2.25.144_0.1, etc, tags. They are now
   annotated tags rather than signed tags since I couldn't sign
   the rewritten commits as Tomas ;-)

>  * Create a mutter product in bugzilla
>  * Create patches for the outstanding gnome-shell changes
>    and put them into bugzilla for review; once we have agreement,
>    commit them.
>  * Do the rename of executables, GConf, install locations, etc.

These are mostly still to be done.

- Owen