[gpm] odd bahavior connecting/disconnecting power

The problem seems to have been in the battery.
I rebooted to several different OS versions and got the same behavior.
Although the mouse over the power icon then showed only one copy of
"Laptop battery is fully charged".
When I removed the battery and put it back in, it started to charge.
And now I have two copies again of the message, now Laptop battery
charging.  So I guess it was the battery that needed the reboot.