Re: [gpm] Merge inhibit applet with GPM?

My apologies, I forgot to send a CC of my reply to the mailing list.

Pramod
--- Begin Message ---
On Fri, 2009-08-21 at 13:40 +0100, Richard Hughes wrote:
> 2009/8/21 Pramod Dematagoda <pmd lotr gandalf gmail com>:
> > I am thinking of trying to integrate the inhibit applet with GPM, the
> > reason being is for simplicity.
>
> What's the logic with integrating it? I would say not many users use
> the inhibit functionality, as it's designed to be value-add, not core
> functionality.
>
> Richard.

Well, first of all, it would not be on the menu at all times since the
user would have the option of having it or not, so those users who do
not need it do not have to be bothered with it at all. For users who do
need this, they can quickly enable inhibition when they need to without
having to have the inhibition applet sitting in the panel all the time.

The users who would benefit from something like this, would be users
watching videos from websites like You Tube, etc. where inhibition is
not automatically enabled, also it would be useful for users of
applications via WINE where some power saving modes like suspending
would probably cause problems.

>From personal experience, I always hated having the inhibition applet
just sitting in the panel because it was not useful(until I actually
needed it) and it took space on a panel that was already crammed with
other applets, but when I did need it, I had to go through the whole
task of adding it to the panel and then activating the inhibition. By
integrating the applet with GPM, the applet does not get in the user's
way until he/she actually needs it and then it is just a simple matter
of clicking on the tray icon and pressing the inhibition entry.

Cheers,
Pramod

--- End Message ---