[gpm] brightness on Sony Vaio Laptop

Hello all,

This is my first post to the list. I have recently purchased a Sony Vaio Laptop model #VGN-NR220E and have fresh-installed a copy of ubuntu 7.10 onto it. Gnome Power Manager loads on login, of course, and I have tested both suspend and hibernate, and they both work as well. What does not work is anything relating to the setting of screen brightness, both in Power Management Settings, or if I add a screen brightness control to the panel. It is my understanding that this is an issue with Sony hardware itself (brightness keys on the keyboard do not work either), however, I have been successfully able to change the screen's brightness using xbacklight. Any thoughts on having Gnome Power Manager use xbacklight in a case like this? I have never written any code specifically for Gnome, but I would be interested to work on this. It would certainly be very helpful to the many Vaio users who are having problems with screen brightness. Thank you all for your time.

Ubuntu 7.10 (installed from LiveCD)
GNOME Power Manager 2.20
Kernel 2.6.22-14

Eli Dayan