Re: [gpm] Untangling the sleep hotkey mess

On Mon, Jan 09, 2006 at 04:52:11PM -0500, Dmitry Torokhov wrote:

> I probably was not clear in my original message. The new input handler
> for ACPI would be only used for compatibility with cirrent
> installations relying on ACPID. This will allow gradual conversion of
> ACPI drivers to use input layer instead of sending events dircetly to
> /proc/acpi/events.

Ah, I see what you mean. However, there's still some slight awkwardness
here, since userspace will be expecting the events to come from the
button driver (the regexp used is generally button[ /]sleep), and
that'll be registered even if there's no sleep button (the lid switch
and power button are still handled via it). I don't believe you can
register two drivers with the same name, so without gross hacks I can't
see an easy way to provide this functionality through /proc/acpi without
requiring userspace to be fixed up /anyway/...

> OTOH there should probably be anotehr generic power interface
> filtering out power-related input events from the stream of all input
> events in the system and making them available to userspace without
> requiring applications (be it individual applications or HAL) to open
> zillion of raw /dev/input/evenX devices.

Sure. As mentioned before, we basically just want keycodes 116, 142 and
205 (POWER, SLEEP and SUSPEND) - I guess that's not too difficult?
--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59 srcf ucam org