Re: [gpm] Untangling the sleep hotkey mess

On Mon, Jan 09, 2006 at 09:37:01AM +0800, Yu, Luming wrote:

> The hotkey.c is NOT like what you said above.
> It is used to support dedicated hotkey device and dedicated hotkey AML methods
> that are used by ODM to implement hotkey function on their own laptops.
> As for hotkey event, hotkey.c doesn't handle it yet.
> And so-called event_num in hotkey.c are mainly used as a key for searching and storing.

Can we please stop all this madness of trying to support twenty thousand
weird and wonderful laptop configurations in the kernel, merge dev_acpi
instead and then do it all in userspace? It strikes me as massively more
maintainable. That way we don't need vendors to patch kernels every time
a manufacturer tweaks something - a small userspace update can be pushed
out instead.

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59 srcf ucam org