Re: gnome-pilot may be removed from default Ubuntu install

Hello,

On Tuesday 03 March 2009, 17:06 +0000, Matt Davey wrote:

> Ubuntu users: a bug/issue has been logged suggesting that gnome-pilot be
> removed from the default Ubuntu installation.  If you want to register
> your opinion, the issue is logged here:
>   https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/334446
> with a forum discussion here:
>   http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1080350

I think I'll post a comment there. IMHO when I tried Ubuntu some 2 yrs
ago, the Gnome-Pilot was one of these things that made this distro feel
so user-friendly to me. I appreciate this software, which integrates
nicely with Evolution, and the support we get from this forum.

Of course, not everyone has a Palm, and one could always install from
the repos... Hopefully it will remain there!

One comment reads: "From the launchpad page, it appears development
upstream has stopped." I don't quite understand. Does it mean that no
newer version can ever reach the repos., and that we won't get any .deb
file for the latest releases? (I admit I'm too lazy to compile, at
times...)

However, reading the various comments, I found some of them less than
friendly... If I were a developer, I wouldn't have found this pleasant
to read.

> I do not have strong feelings on the matter.  As far as I can see,
> gnome-pilot is not likely to support any new palmos devices since palm
> appear to be orphaning hotsync (desktop link protocol) support.

Palm certainly won't drop _any_ form of sync operation. I see they have
a new device under "webOS" about to be released. OTTH, some users manage
to install an open source system on their treo/palm. But what will
Gnome-Pilot become in the middle of all this?

> So it becomes less likely that users new to Ubuntu will require gnome-pilot.
> Of course, if this change goes through then such users would have to
> install gnome-pilot from repositories.
>
> Matt

[...]

There must still be a significant number of Palm users who value their
devices, and are not ready to trade them for a MS-based one...

I definitely hope Gnome-Pilot will at least remain _available_ to Ubuntu
users, and that the Ubuntu and Gnome-Pilot teams will continue to
communicate.

Thank you for your work and your support,

Regards,
--
Daniel CLEMENT