Re: libusb and hal

On Tue, 2007-10-09 at 18:31 +0200, Tom Billiet wrote:
> Hi,
>
> After doing some hacking in pilot-link for the z22 to get to work with
> libusb (and to work at all, because visor is also no more working),
> I've already made a (dirty) patch for pilot-link (see the "z22 F7
> problem" thread for more details) to get pilot-xfer to work. Now the
> next problem is gnome-pilot.
>
> It came to my attention that it worked every time the first time the
> z22 was connected to the computer after a reboot, and it would not
> work anymore the next times. So I did some investigation and figured
> the root of the problem.
> When the z22 is connected, the hal_device_added function in gpilotd.c
> is called a few times, each time with different hal information. only
> one time this part of code will succeed:
> if (!(bus = libhal_device_get_property_string (hal_ctx, udi,
> "info.bus", NULL))) {
>         return;
>     }
>     if (strcmp (bus, "usb_device") != 0 ) {
>         libhal_free_string (bus);
>         return;
>     }
> So this means gpilotd is waiting for a "usb_device" to be added by
> hal, which works the first time.  But the next times the "usb_device"
> is not added anymore, as this device stays available in hal.

Tom,

Thanks for your work on this already.  Are you saying that the
"usb_device" is only added once, even if you disconnect the z22
physically from your computer?

Can you watch other HAL events to see what gets generated when you
attempt a sync?  I'm sure there'll be something we can hook into, and
then it might be time for gnome-pilot 2.0.16...

Regards,

Matt

Matt Davey        If the rich could hire other people to die for them, the
mcdavey mrao cam ac uk 	poor could make a wonderful living - Yiddish Proverb