Re: netsync with gpilotd

Matt Davey <mcdavey mrao cam ac uk> writes:

> On Fri, 2004-12-10 at 20:56, Hans Ulrich Niedermann wrote:

>> I've been unsuccessfully trying to netsync my Palm Tungsten T3 with
>> gpilotd (Debian package gnome-pilot 2.0.10-6.1).

> You describe the problem perfectly.

> I posted a patch to gnome-pilot, that should apply
> to the current CVS source, that enables netsync for
> me.  I replaced the UDP listen with a TCP listen,
> and pass the socket to the pilot-link stack after
> accepting the incoming connection.

"setuid" on #pilot-link pointed me to that patch.

To make a long story short: It works for me.

The detailed story:

  1. fetched the gnome-pilot CVS sources
  2. added your patch
  3. copied the debian/ directory from the official Debian package
     (2.0.10)
  4. patched autogen.sh to use automake 1.8
  5. ran "autogen.sh --help" (I didn't want to run configure at that
     stage yet)
  6. ran "fakeroot debian/rules binary"
  7. installed the package
  8. hotsynced with the "backup" conduit disabled - successfully.

Side note:

The "backup" conduit (and "pilot-xfer -b") together with the T|T3 get
in an endless loop when trying to back up the BatteryGraph stuff,
which is why I have to disable the backup.

> Worked nicely for me:
>
> http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-pilot-list/2004-November/msg00024.html

For me, too.

> I haven't heard back from anyone else applying this patch, so
> if you need any help getting it all built, drop me a mail.

Hehe... setuid had more problem building with it than I did, I think :)

Thanks a lot for patch, mail, help, etc.

Gruß,

Uli