Re: Status of pilot-link

On Mon, 5 Oct 1998, Michael Fulbright wrote:

> Hi guys...
>
>   I am sorry I disappeared from the face of the earth - more pressing
> RH business lately.
>
>   Its very important to our long term goals to have a single user level
> of integration of the pilot tools.  I want someone to be able to install
> Red Hat, configure the port and speed/etc of their single Pilot, and start
> sync'ing.
>
>   I understand this is somewhat different then your goals of a server which
> allows multiple people/pilots to be handled.  I don't really care for
> that, BUT I'm certainly not opposed for that mode of operation. However,
> it would really help us to understand what is needed for the single user
> mode to be complete and start getting used.

The multiuser stuff is hairy anyway, and as Eskil said, it will come
later.  In addition to what Eskil has mentioned I think that it will be
very important to get some of the GUI apps, like the applet and file
installer working with the gpilotd app lib as soon as the gpilotd side is
done.  This will need to wait for now though.  This is important though,
so the user gets some feedback as to the sync process.

Other than this, we really just need conduits and configuration programs
and we are ready to roll with single user.

I think we should also decide on this conduit configuration program issue,
capplets or not, and then do it.  Though the conduits should have a
sensible default configuration whenever possible.  The only problem is
passing the pilot id to the conduit config capplet since it can change
without a control center restart.  To address this point, read my question
below.

A question I had regarding this is as follows:

Is it possible for a capplet to control its subtree on the left half of
the control center?  If not would anyone be opposed to such functionality.
It could be very useful if an expert mode was added to the capplet for
multiple pilots with different conduit configs per user.  I would be
willing to add the expert mode as well. I think that this would allow
maximal code reuse for the config and not confuse new users.  The pilot
config capplet can allow users to add conduits etc and they would get
added to the subtree on the left.  Then when a user clicks the subtree
item, the conduit config capplet is run.  With multiple pilots in expert
mode the capplet will allow you to add pilots as well and each pilot
branch will allow you to add conduits.

> Thanks for all your efforts, I am hopeful we can be helpful...

At this rate it seems that we could use all the help we can get.  I think
that we are pretty close to a working single user gnome-pilot once this
app lib stuff is straightened out(finished :).  Less conduits of course.

Manish Vachharajani
<mvachhar@vger.rutgers.edu>