Re: Status of pilot-link

On Mon, 5 Oct 1998, Michael Fulbright wrote:

>   I am sorry I disappeared from the face of the earth - more pressing

Apparantly a popular hobby for all os us, these days :)

> help us, if you have time, is to spec out a component or two that
> really need someone to sit down for a few days solid and slug out.  If

A thing of enormous importance (IMHO), is the availability of various
conduits. I know the conduit document isn't done yet, making it a bit
cumbersone to begin developing a conduit. But I'm more then willing to
take a crack at the doc again, if a lot of people start breathing down my
neck.

For single user and office use, conduits for processing email, expense <->
gnucash, datebook <-> gnomecal, addressbook <-> gnomecard, and perhaps
tinysheet (or others) <-> gnumeric would make the package more attractive.

So this, plus integration of the gpilotd package into other
installation-friendly things (eg. the capplet), could be of huge
importance.

> possible, it would be nice if we didn't have to spend a week getting up
> to speed, but if that is necessary then we try to do what we have to.

I can do the conduit syncabs document, plus Manish seems to want a
gnomecal conduit. So that, the email and gnomecard conduits are three
components, that you can do without having to worry about what accidents
we do. Especially, since the current gpilotd can do the conduit handling
(except that pilot-link is missing archiving, also a thing I will give
priorty then).

So are these conduit something for you ?

> allows multiple people/pilots to be handled.  I don't really care for
> that, BUT I'm certainly not opposed for that mode of operation. However,

I agree, that at first we should work toward a single user version. And
in the current corba stuff I'm doing, I am skipping a lot of the multiuser
stuff (validation of programs etc.).

eskil