Re: [Fwd: Re: here i come !]

mån 2002-06-24 klockan 21.51 skrev Miles Lane:
> On Mon, 2002-06-24 at 11:17, Seth Nickell wrote:
> > This is exactly the obscure sort of technical choice we *shouldn't*
> > present if we are really targeting home users. There are options
> > though... For example, what about having a low battery mode that mounts
> > the filesystem as ext2 (you can mount ext3 filesystems as ext2 as far as
> > I understand, right?). Things like that that end up being transparent.
>
> Yes, I was thinking of suggesting this as well.
> An even better solution, though, might be to
> ask the kernel developers to add a boot-time detection
> where, if APM or ACPI is enabled and the machine is
> running off of a battery, automatically mount EXT3
> partitions with EXT2.  I'll ask whether this sounds
> like a workable solution on LKML.  I'm not sure
> whether such a change could go into the 2.4 series
> kernel.  It might be work only appropriate for 2.5.
>
> It would be cool if there were a way to have the
> EXT3 partitions synced and then remounted with EXT2
> and vice versa.
>
> Something like:  mount -o remount -t ext2 /dev/hda6 /
>
> I tried this, but it remounts the partition with EXT3,
> in spite of my attempt to set the filesystem type.

Not sure it's such a good idea to switch on-and-off the journaling
without user interaction. Then the user will never know if it's safe to
just kill the machine or not.

Also, I think that the user should know what he is doing when he sets it
to be ext2, we never want a user to run it without activily choosing it
(imho anyway). Yes, it will eat more battery if you run ext3 on your
laptop *BUT* you will not face an 'fsck' at boot.

We can have a document describing how to use 'ext2' together with
information about pros and cons, but I think we should always go with
ext3 no matter if it's a laptop or a desktop.

Regards,
  Mikael Hallendal

--
Mikael Hallendal                micke codefactory se
CodeFactory AB                  http://www.codefactory.se/