Re: [Fwd: Re: here i come !]

> > > The user should not be able to choose. Let's just use ext3 and be done
> > > with it :)
> >
> > No, using ext2 has its uses. A journaled filesystem on a laptop is
> > pretty bad for the batteries. And it's an easy question to ask.

I might be totally clueless here, but I always felt that an installer
should explain to me why I would choose one over the other.  I agree that
sensible defaults are a good thing, and a project like this should make
the decision of using xfs, ext3, jfs or reiserfs for the user IMO.
But when it's between ext2 and ext3, the installer should tell me "these
are the cases where you would want ext2".  This is something that the
installers I've used neglect to tell me.

I do have to admit that I didn't know there was merit in using ext2 on a
laptop.  I had huge problems with apm in the past causing the whole
machine to lock up, so I was glad to finally have ext3 support.  What
exactly is the advantage of ext2 ?

Thomas

Xander : "We kind of have a romantic evening planned."
Anya : "We were gonna light a bunch of candles and have sex near them."
<-*- thomas apestaart org -*->