Re: Gnome Office, Bonobo and other apps

Le mer 10/03/2004 à 15:45, Jody Goldberg a écrit :
> On Sun, Mar 07, 2004 at 04:08:32PM +0100, Jean Brefort wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have started developing applications related to chemistry (GChemPaint
> > and Gnome Crystal) some years ago, using the gtk+ and gnome libs with
> > the hope I'll be able one day to incorporate data inside Abiword and
> > other gnome apps using Bonobo.
> > I could do it in gnumeric-1.0 (but the data were not saved) but never in
> > abiword, which would be much more interesting.
> > I'd like to know if there are plans to use Bonobo embedding (may be I
> > can help).
>
> With Gnome2 BonoboEmbeddable went away, so Gnumeric-1.2 can no
> longer embed things.  1.2 did add support for Gnumeric as a
> NautilusView but that has not been terribly useful.  In the current
> development tree that is disabled because BONOBOUI does not play
> well with GtkAction yet.
>
> That doesn't leave a whole lot of functinality.
>
> I'm not terribly concerned by this loss.  The majority of the
> functionality seems useless.  Merging menus and toolbars of
> different apps seems like a recipe for confusion.  What I'd much
> rather see is for an app to support two modes
>     - view
>     - edit
>
> Edit is the normal state with toolbars and menus.
> View would just display the content.

Even in a hypothesis of in place editing (which is not a priority in any
case), merging of menus and toolbars should only occur when the embedded
file is activated, not at all times. Otherwise a great confusion will
result...

> That way apps could just display the embedded content (or even
> better a static image previously generated) then activate the
> component and launch the real app, in its own window, to edit
> things.

The static image might be the svg version of the data discussed earlier.
The idea is to have two representations of the embedded file, one as svg
and the other as xml. The program used for editing might be determined
from the xml namespace (I suppose it should be possible to add that to
bonobo server files).