Re: Gnome Office, Bonobo and other apps

> Providing a SVG view will be easy for gnome apps, since gnome-print has
> a svg backend (only cvs version).

Dom has done great work getting the svg backend for gnome-print. Although
what he has now is more a proof of concept. Dom ran across some absolutely
fundamental limitations of gnome-print doing this. The SVG printing only
works for Latin-1 charsets at this point.

Yeah, gnome-print's CVS version has a SVG backend. It's not enabled yet, but I hope that it will soon be (in the gnome 2.7 series).

It mostly works. By "mostly", I mean as follows:

1) It emits SVG1.2/SVGPrint compliant SVG. This means that it supports multi-page docs via the <pageSet>, <page> tags. Unfortunately, no viewers support such a construct yet. LibRSVG gets it right for page 1. Of course, since I own librsvg, I can move on making it support multi-page SVGs.

2) Text. Basically, the backends get passed a list of Glyphs. While this is admirable - it saves the backends from having to write redundant, potentially buggy UNICHAR->Glyph translation code - it puts a damper on what types of backends we can have. Concretely, it would be useful if we could get the UNICHAR text as well.

Mapping from a Glyph->UNICHAR is an expensive operation and isn't guaranteed to work (think ligatures, Pango Shapers where multiple characters combine to form 1 glyph).

What I have *should* work for latin1, provided that you don't use ligatures (ff, fl, fi, ...). It should work for a lot of things besides latin1 too. It just won't work for everything.

We also need to print the svg's. I guess this is some sort of svg ->
translation.

We're looking at abstracting the backend away from LibRSVG so that it just isn't libart-based. For now, content yourselves with printing the RGBA buffer.

Dom

Fast. Reliable. Get MSN 9 Dial-up - 3 months for the price of 1! (Limited-time Offer) http://click.atdmt.com/AVE/go/onm00200361ave/direct/01/