Re: short minute of meeting at guadec

On Tue, Apr 09, 2002 at 05:47:43PM -0700, Joaquin Cuenca Abela wrote:

> The trick here is that the bulk of undo/redo code is
> app specific.  In Abiword you should deal with the
> changes in the piece table, etc., in glade you should
> get & set properties, and create & destroy widgets.
>
> The only common code is on the list that manages the
> undo/redo commands, on the pushing of these commands,
> etc.
>
> So I don't know if it would be so useful to share this
> piece of code (specially taking in account that
> everybody has already implemented it, but with little
> differences here and there).

I think there is some utility in sharing 1 good implementation of
such a framework for a few reasons.

1) Documentation
    The key to a successful framework is that it has very clear
    semantics for what each stage needs to do.

2) Supporting an undo/redo journal to avoid requiring auto-save

3) Having a framework for cleanly seperating the implementation from
    the UI.  This will faciliate scripting and enable support for
    different interfaces (eg gtk vs text vs scripting)