Re: short minute of meeting at guadec

--- Jody Goldberg <jody gnome org> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 08, 2002 at 12:26:43AM +0200, Rodrigo
> Moya wrote:

[snip]

> > >  - common code for undo redo, emf, wmf, plugins,
> etc...
> > Joaquin Cuenca just implemented an undo/redo
> system for Glade2 (the
> > rewriting of glade), so we might want to put that
> code in that
> > libgnomeoffice.
> I'll have a look to see how it relates the version
> in gnumeric.

it's in the glade2 cvs module.  It's basically like
the gnumeric version, but instead of each command
having an "undo" and a "redo" virtual function, you
only have a "execute" function, who executes and
reverts the given command (I know, I should rename
that function).

The trick here is that the bulk of undo/redo code is
app specific.  In Abiword you should deal with the
changes in the piece table, etc., in glade you should
get & set properties, and create & destroy widgets.

The only common code is on the list that manages the
undo/redo commands, on the pushing of these commands,
etc.

So I don't know if it would be so useful to share this
piece of code (specially taking in account that
everybody has already implemented it, but with little
differences here and there).

If somebody is interested I can post a comparation
between the gnumeric, abiword and glade2 undo system,
explaining their differences.  That way we can take a
decission.

> > >  - will check zippios out
> > >  - will clean up io abstraction
> > what does that mean?
> We need to do some research on a few things.
> - how well zipios works
> - how easy it is to get support for the OO header in
> the zip file
> - how much work is necessary to be able to read
> files from different
>   sources into zipios (think gnome-vfs/network type
> sources)

that zipios stuff looks to me much more promising as
start point for the common lib.  Maybe we should also
put there libole2

Cheers,

--
Joaquin Cuenca Abela