Re: short minute of meeting at guadec

On Sun, 2002-04-07 at 23:26, Rodrigo Moya wrote:
> gnome-db is also ready to be a GNOME Office application, even though
> it's not 1.0 yet :-). gnome-db uses heavily Bonobo, which is, in my
> opinion, the thing to use as the glue for GNOME Office apps.

it may have missed my notes :)

> > Jody:
> >  - gtk? for a future...
> >  - present: advantages from using glib (unlimited undo redo, and other
> >             cool stuff)
> >  - use more shared elements (like a shared zippy file), embbeding stuff
> one of the best things we should start doing is to move the different
> filters for file formats to a libgnomeoffice. So, the question is, what
> do you think about moving the different filters being used in gnumeric,
> abiword, etc to that libgnomeoffice? How difficult would that be for
> cross-platforms apps such as abiword?

I don't know how to answer this, maybe someone else will be able to do
it.
Right now, most of abiword's filters are built in, although there's no
real reason they shouldn't be transformed into plugins.

However, I can't see exactly how can gnumeric (for instance) benefit in
terms of code from a load word doc plugin...

> This will give us a lot of integration, since we'll be able to
> understand all formats in all GO applications, and that will allow us to
> do very nice things, such as creating a gnumeric spreadsheet directly
> from gnome-db, without knowing about any specific CORBA interface or
> whatever.

bindings between gnome-db and gnumeric may seem reasonable in certain
circunstances (but i can't see any right now.

typo. check http://zipios.sourceforge.net

> well, as a last thing, let me say that I am really interested in getting
> GO out ASAP, so you can count on my help for anything about it. So, yes,
> let's get a GNOME Office.

Great. But let's have at least a minimally integrated GO first,
probably.

Hugs, rui

+ So let's do it...?