=====================================
From: http://www.techrepublic.com/article/could-ubuntu-15-10-be-the-end-of-the-road-for-boring-upgrades/
As of 15.10, the Ubuntu GNOME stack will finally be upgraded to an almost up-to-date 3.16.x release. This has been long overdue, because so much of the GNOME stack has greatly improved, and Ubuntu remaining behind this curve has caused the shipped GNOME packages to be missing major improvements. As a bonus, a much newer (and improved) GTK will be shipped with Wily.

You'll be surprised to find one actual visible change in the 15.10 release. The scrollbars in Unity are finally shifting to those developed by the GNOME team. This is a much-needed improvement, since the Unity scrollbars have always seemed a bit of a design mistake.

That's about it for the major changes for 15.10, which is the last boring upgrade for Ubuntu. Beyond that, things will start getting really interesting, as the Unity 8/Mir combination finally comes to fruition. At that point, all bets are off. When 16.04 is released, the desktop will drastically change, and all of that amazing stability we've enjoyed for years might well be chucked out the window... at least for a while.

If you fear change, Ubuntu 15.10 might well be the last upgrade to the world's most popular Linux distribution that doesn't send your heart into apoplectic fits. Of course, this is all speculation... as we all know, the shift to Unity 8/Mir has been pushed back time and time again. But if everything goes as planned, 16.04 will finally be that "magic" number.