Waveform For GNOME Sound Recorder

I understand that Sound Recorder is simple and functional and works well. However, from a usage standpoint, it seems that a live waveform display would provide valuable visual feedback to the user.

I'm wanting to see if I can implement this (gives me a chance to brush up on some C) but wanted to get feedback from the community first before diving into it.

Good idea? Bad idea? What sorts of dependencies would need to be introduce?

Thanks,
daV.e