[gnome-love] adding an applet to the panel's list

As some of you may know, I develop a little Gnome panel applet. I'm
coming up to (dare I say it) a 1.0 release. My problem: when my app is
installed (via rpm or deb or whatever) my applet doesn't make it on to
the Gnome "add to panel..." menu until the user logs out and back in.
Obviously, this is bad for usability, so I'd like to ask for help.

Currently, on installation, the following happens:
* default settings are installed via gconftool-2
* killall -SIGHUP gconfd-2

Is there something else I should be doing? "killall -SIGHUP
gnome-panel" works, but it's a little, huh huh, extreme... "killall
-SIGHUP bonobo-activation-server" kills b-a-s and it appears not to
come back. I've looked at other panel applets but I can't see what
they are doing different.

cheers
Dave