Re: One very unhappy Linux user

On Mon, Nov 28, 2011 at 10:43:21AM +0000, AG wrote:
> On 28/11/11 09:48, Olav Vitters wrote:
> >On Mon, Nov 28, 2011 at 09:29:15AM +0000, AG wrote:
> >>That is hardly the point, is it?  The point is that users of
> >>GNU/Linux want to use an OS that allows them choice and
> >>reconfigurability, etc., and not to have chase the whims of
> >>developers.
> >I'm a use Linux and GNOME and I'm perfectly happy with GNOME 3.
>
> Well, good for you.  I use GNU/Linux and Gnome and am not happy with
> Gnome3 but *am* perfectly happy with Gnome2.  And your point is ...
> ?

This was already answered.

> >>Perhaps the developers can fork the projects and call Gnome3
> >>something else, like Gnome Tablet or some such, and continue to
> >>offer and support Gnome2 and make it a great DE in terms of removing
> >>extant bugs, and memory leaks, etc.
> >Most is available under the GPL and LGPL. Feel free to find other
> >people.
>
> Pls clarify what this is supposed to mean?

The GNOME developers provided you GNOME 3 and are not maintaining GNOME
2.x. Saying "the developers can fork": yes, anyone can. E.g. there is
something called MATE. I don't think it has many developers, or much bug
fixing is done.

Not sure if you're aware, but GNOME foundation owns the GNOME trademark
and so on.

> >Find it somewhat impolite that although GNOME is provided for
> >free (libre+price), you still dare to say how the developers should
> >spend their time.
>
> This is rich: developers - described by Stallman, Raymond, et al.,
> as hackers who do it for the love of developing the code, the kudos
> of making it work and the pleasure of sticking it to the
> corporations in favor of coming up with decent, transparent and
> user-readable code - now get pissed at users who don't like what
> they do and resort to saying that "it's free - therefore use what we
> give you or piss off".

I work for a corporation, so do many of the developers. They might do
this out of a hobby, but it is not "sticking it to the corporations".

I suggest to re-read what Free Software is about.

And I'd never use something like "piss off".

That all said, I was saying you're being impolite. Your reply doesn't go
into this. Just more "piss off" and such phrases.

> Great attitude there, Olav.  If you are a developer, perhaps you'd
> be best off working for a corporation like MS who get paid to *not*
> listen to their user base

Suggest to use arguments instead of getting personal.

> >Furthermore, tablet? GNOME 3 is hardly usable on a tablet.
>
> And yet the Gnome3 interface has been designed with tablet users in mind.

That some things work on a tablet does not make it a tablet edition,
which is the name you came up with ("Gnome Tablet").
--
Regards,
Olav