Re: Re[2]: gtkhtml

On Fri, Jun 30, 2000 at 12:42:47PM +0800, hashao wrote:
> Hello Daniel,
>
> Thursday, June 29, 2000, 9:26:59 PM, you wrote:
>
> DV>   Especially if removing 7 libraries decreased the functionnality.
> DV> This analyze works IMHO only if those given 7 libraries were not already
> DV> loaded. This may be the case if you run none of the other Gnome applications
> DV> making use of it.
> DV> In the case of an integrated setup like gnome where a lot of apps shared
> DV> the appropriately named *shared* libraries, then if your application use some
> DV> of those functionalities it should be faster to use shared libs than duplicate
> DV> code for those functionalities in your binary. If you remeoved nothing
> DV> useful (i.e. assuming no other app in your desktop will ever need an HTML
> DV> engine, it's embeddability or it's capacity to print) then yes you may win.
> DV> But I doubt this assumption really has its place in
>
> Then maybe the current gtkhtml should be renamed to gnomehtml and
> change the cschtml to gtkhtml. gnomehtml should have more funtions for
> gnome and evolution for sure. But make it gnomehtml, please.

  This officialize the fork. In most cases a fork is a lost of time and
efforts, this is not always true, eg. egcs/gcc or even gtkhtml itself
when the original code base was extracted from KDE, but in both cases
the fork did make sense due to lack of developement/need for more features/
very distinct environment.

  The hardest part of the gtkhtml work and hence the cost of maintenance
of that codebase is:
   - doing a proper rendering
   - having editing functionnalities

  As far as I understand those two points were not what led to the fork,
i.e. both branches will have to maintain complicated code (cschtml author
intent seems to keep editing, and this does have a serious performance
impact).
  Recheck my mail, I didn't tried to argue whether the widget should be
gnome or gtk, I did argue against the validity of the testing and against
doing a fork...

  I assume you expect to be a cschtml user, right. Can you tell me
which app you're using where you're sure you don't want to print the
rendering of the HTML input ? I really need to understand why you don't
need it. If you do, then you will need a printing component sooner or
later in cschtml, one more piece of code to maintain independantly.

Daniel

--
Daniel.Veillard@w3.org | W3C, INRIA Rhone-Alpes  | Today's Bookmarks :
Tel : +33 476 615 257  | 655, avenue de l'Europe | Linux XML libxml WWW