Re: gtkhtml

Federico Mena Quintero was overheared mumbling something about this on 29 Jun
2000 03:59:10 -0400

> Steven Kordik <stevek@voila.net> writes:
>
>  > It's not all about disk space. In fact, all of my users who
>  > previously used GtkHTML with CSCMail have now switched to CscHTML.
>  > Why? Because CscHTML renders FASTER than GtkHTML.	I hardly believe
>  > it myself.  But not linking with the GNOME libs made it noticably
>  > faster.  Sounds like a win-win situation to me.  You get a faster
>  > widget, and fewer dependancies.
>
>  We'd love to see some profile data.	How did you measure this?	What
>  did you change in the code?

I removed all the links to GNOME libs.	I measured it by using GtkHTML and
CscHTML in the same application, and viewing 20 identical locally stored HTML
files with each.  The version with CscHTML not only initialized quicker (no
surprise since it has less to initialize.) but it also displayed each HTML file
faster.

To be honest, I am as surprised at this as you are.  But my surprise doesn't
change the facts.  CscHTML does load and display HTML faster than GtkHTML...

>  Saying "not linking to gnome-libs makes it faster" is what most
>  western cultures have defined as bullshit.

No, your statements would be considered bullshit, since they are not backed by
facts.	It is common knowledge that smaller programs initialize and load faster
than large programs.  The fewer dependancies you have, the faster your
application will initialize. (and the smaller its memory footprint will be, and
the easier to install it will be, etc)

The above statements assume all else is equal ... ie: application A and
application B are identical except for the number of libs they link to.  App A
links to 10 libs, App B links to 3 libs.  App B is gonna load quicker. (and it
seems, run quicker too)

By the way, it is just this sort of attitude on behalf of Helix personel that
caused this fork in the first place... Arrogance has no place in the open
source community (in my opinion)

-CZ