can't access http with gnome-help-browser

Hi,

I cannot seem to get the gnome-help-browser to access remote URLs such
as http://www.gnome.org or ftp://ftp.funet.fi. (Local files display
just fine.) Trying `http://www.gnome.org', for example, yields an
error dialog:

Error loading document: http://www.gnome.org
You probably don't have this documentation installed on your system.

I am using gnome 1.0.54 on RedHat 6.1. I tried adding a URL handler in
the gnome control center for protocol `http' with `gnome-help-browser
"%s"' as the command and even changed the mime types x-url/http and
text/html to open `gnome-help-browser %f' and `gnome-help-browser
file:%f' respectively, but neither change has allowed me to display
remote URLs.

Erik