gdm login problem

I recently installed the helix gnome 1.2 system. Along with this came a new
graphical login manager. Whenever I attempt to login using gnome as my
default desktop, the login fails (and puts me back to the original login
screen). I can log in using KDE or any other type of desktop. I have found
that deleting the directory /tmp/.ICE-unix will allow me to log into gnome,
but after that session, the .ICE-unix directory is back and I can no longer
log into gnome. How do I have gnome delete this directory when I log out?

Michael