Re: helix-gonme 1.2 - very nice but what about browsers?

Jeffry Smith wrote:

> zaikxtox wrote:
> >
> > Dear gnome comunity:
> >
> > I have looked that nice screamshots that have a link
> > on slashdot.org and i have seen a nice ms-outlook
> > clone, a nice ms-word clone, a nice ms-excel clone,
> > and into the helixcode.com site a nice ms-vbasic
> > clone.
> > Well... here is the question... is there some effort
> > on making a good ms-iexplorer/aol-netscape clone? that
> > would be, in my opinion, really a great advance for
> > the GNU comunity.
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > ivan/zaikxtox

Eazel (http://www.eazel.com) is working on Nautilus, which can be used for browsing.
This will be done primarly trough embedding the browsing engine in Mozilla, but also
through a small html renderer called gtkhtml, but this is planned to be used for
light rendering like local file systems etc.
If you what a all GPL solution combined with a full features HTML renderer, I think
you best bet would be to try to embed the Mnemonic engine in Nautilus, but that
codework you have to do yourself :)

> On a related note:  is anyone working on a MS Powerpoint /
> presentation software package?  The only one I find being developed is
> KPresents, part of KOffice.  Unfortunately, the PHBs love
> presentations (and they do come in usefull sometimes).  I'm willing to
> test, but I'm fairly certain I don't have the skills currently to
> build this.

In GNOME CVS there is a presentation program under development called Achtung. There
are three developers working activly on it I think, but of course more would be
better.

Christian Schaller