Re: biff utility

On 26 Feb 1999, Miguel de Icaza wrote:

> Now, the issues it that we have a number of mail checking notification
> programs in GNOME.  We probably should write a routine that does this
> and just have different GUIs for it.

Ooo, that is a very good idea - if someone sends me a routine like:

gboolean check_for_mail();

And another:

void set_mailboxes_to_check(...)

i.e. the backend part, I'll put a little CORBA wrapper on it. Then
all the mailcheckers can use this single backend, which would be
configurable in a single location. Any program can just access the single
running instance of the mailcheck object to see if there's mail, so only
one process is polling the mailbox but every application can display a
little icon if it wants to. I guess every app would have to poll the
mailcheck object until we have some kind of event subscription thing, but
still better than the alternative.

Balsa could also retrieve its list of mailboxes from here, perhaps.

Havoc