A slick feature

Hi there,

I'm new to Gnome (ok, let's be honest, I've d/l'ed it at work, but not
actually loaded it on my machine at home, due to lack of space), but I
have a suggestion, which I'd like people (preferably developers in
general) to look at, and make comments on, and if the idea seems
feasible, I'll post it to the development list, as an entry for the
wish list.

The idea is this:
When an application is minimised, with this option selected, it fades
to glass.

The way I envisage it working is like this.
When an application minimises, the root window passes a structure to
the WM containing a reference to itself, it's children, and the colour
palette it's using. The WM calculates a set of colours fading roughly
down to the colours from the section or root window behind it are
calculated, and the colours are rapidly reassigned, making the fade
effect. The intermediate colours can then be dumped, leaving you only
with the original colours saved somewhere, and the root window colours,
which is what can be seen through the lost-focus objects. To make it
"glassy", the edges of each widget inside the window, and the window
itself would have to have a light grey/white border.

This feature could realistically only be implemented in 24bpp or
higher, I think, due to the number of colours that may be needed, but
if anyone thinks it can be done with less bpp, please voice your
opinion, and preferably with a reason. A way to optimise the routines
would be to save the colours needed when the objects lose focus, as
they will only be brought back into focus or killed afterwards. If they
are killed, then the colours can be dumped, if the are to be brought
back into focus, then they will not have moved, as they would have had
to get the focus back to have moved. Once the object is in focus, then
you can safely dump the extra colours. Again, if RAM is excessively
plentiful, the extra colours can be saved until the object is actually
moved, saving calculation time if the object isn't moved.

In my opinion, this would be *very* nice, but I can see that there
would be problems with it. For example, what if you run out of colours?
What if you are copying text from one window/application to another? To
overcome the second problem is quite easy. This feature could be
implemented as an alternative to the minimise styles that are already
present.

Comments/suggestions? I'm sure that's what the list is for.

Richard Rose  -  Network Consultant  -  Zen Internet
Richard.Rose@zen.co.uk