Gnome Terminal and MC don't work well together

When I run MC in gnome-terminal, it causes many problems with display
mode switch.

Under linux console, xterm, nxterm everything's ok - pressing ctrl-o
hides panels and shows output of the last command. Under gnome-terminal
pressing ctrl-o shows blank screen, last command's output is lost. This
also happens if I run earlier versions of mc on a remote machine
(through telnet or rlogin).

Also, if I run MC in gnome-terminal scrolling no longer works, no matter
if I stay in MC or exit to normal command prompt.

Seems like gnome-terminal problem - it became more sensitive to MC's
termcap tweaks, but what do I know :).

%rpm -qf `which gnome-terminal`
gnome-core-0.99.8.1-4
%rpm -q mc
mc-4.5.16-4
% echo $TERM
xterm

RPMS are from ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/redhat/latest

--
Pavel Polischouk
pavelp@geocities.com