Re: Panel sliding: Old slide algorithm back please?

On Sun, 21 Feb 1999, Chris Evans wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Around about 0.99.7, the panel and drawer sliding algorithms were changed
> so that the things scroll at constant speed when being hidden/unhidden
> etc.
>
> The old variable speed mechanism was far prettier to the eye. Can anyone
> enlighten us as to why it was changed?
>
> At the very least can we have a checkbox option to restore the old
> behaviour? Pretty please? :)
>
> Cheers
> Chris

I just installed 0.99.8.1, my first attempt at gnome, and am using it with WM
0.51.0. Everything's working well so far (except esd, but I know why, it's not
a bug) but I have noticed that panel hiding movement is "jerky." I've got the
menus popping up nicely by keeping them in memory. I'm only running a K6-233
with an STB Velocity 128 and XFree86 3.3.3.1 (accel. is still not all the way
there), so this is probably to be expected.

I've looked through the help files and didn't see anything on tuning gnome, per
se. This might be nice for those of us who are running slower hardware. I'd
volunteer, but I don't think I'll be up to speed (pun intended) on gnome tuning
for a while. I've managed to optimize a few things, like the aforementioned
menus, but I'm sure there are other optimizations I haven't stumbled onto yet.

--
David Wollmann
DST / DST Data Conversion

ICQ: 10742063