Re: Installing Gnome under Caldera OpenLinux

On Fri, 19 Feb 1999, Neil Mercer wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> 	Having just installed Linux and gone looking on the web I've
> come across Gnome and thought I like this - gotta have it.  Before I
> embark on the process on downloading it all and trying to compile it
> under Caldera OpenLinux, has anyone done it before and have any advice
> to offer?

I understand that some people have done this, (I use RedHat).  From what I
understand about how OpenLinux is designed, I would strongly recommend
using the tarballs.  All of the RPMs that I know of require libc6, and the
CVS distribution requires utilities that OpenLinux probably doesn't have
the right versions of.

If you wish to make OpenLinux RPMs out of the tarballs (spec files are
already in the tarballs), we can see about putting them on the FTP site
and its mirrors.

Best of Luck,
-Gleef