Re: My impression of .8

Federico David Sacerdoti wrote:

> gmc:
[snip]
> -I might have liked the kind of upturned folder icons in .7's left tree
> pane better than the current ones. Im not sure- they were more fun and
> less serious than .8's all-90deg-angle folder icons. Its really just an
> asthetic thing.

Not to get into an argument about pure aesthetics, but put my vote in
for the new icons any day.  :)  Seriously, I think the latest GMC looks
pretty awesome.

> And then the biggest question:
>
> -What is the official GNOME word processor? I have just started coding a
> web site with gEdit, and that program kicks ass for what it was intended
> for: an extensible, easy to use, low frustration text editor. But its not
> quite the "write my resume" program for GNOME. Ive tried Corel's
> WordPerfect for Linux, and I hate it. Theres no doubt in my mind that I
> will ever want to use that thing.
>
> Is there a WP project in the works, one with the quality and dedication of
> Gnumetric? Id give my little finger to have a word killer in front of me
> right now.

There are currently two Gnome word processors in development.  One is
called GWP and the other is called Go.  You may try looking through the
Gnome software map or CVS (http://cvs.gnome.org/) for these two
packages.  I believe that both have homepages, but I can't remember the
URLs at the moment.  :)  Anyway, I haven't tried Go yet, but I believe
that you will find both to be a little rudimentary and not overly useful
at this point.  I would strongly recommend that you check out StarOffice
instead until these two become ready for primetime.

--
Jesse D. Sightler