Problems with Esound compilation

I have just downloaded the new release of Gnome and am attempting
to compile the proggies but have run into a problem with esound.

Here is the output from configure
--- Checking for the audiofile library.  NOTE: This library is now
REQUIRED from proper compilation of the esound package.
checking for audiofile-config... (cached) no
checking for AUDIOFILE - version >= 0.1.5... no
*** The audiofile-config script installed by AUDIOFILE could not be
found
*** If AUDIOFILE was installed in PREFIX, make sure PREFIX/bin is in
*** your path, or set the AUDIOFILE_CONFIG environment variable to the
*** full path to audiofile-config.
--- ERROR: The audiofile library was not found on your system.
--- The audiofile library may be obtained from your favourite
--- gnome distribution center, or check the audiofile web page at:
--- http://www.68k.org/~michael/audiofile/
--- NOTE: The audiofile library is now REQUIRED for esound.

now what is strange is that I have set AUDIOFILE_CONFIG and
attempted every suggested fix so that the configure program can find
audiofile_config and nothing seems to work.  Can anyone offer some
aid??

        Greg