Re: Panel scrolling and sound problems

On Thu, 11 Feb 1999, Marshal Wong wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I recently (99/02/09 I think) checked out gnome from CVS and installed
> it.  Compilation went pretty much without a hitch.  I just have a few
> problems:
>
> 1.  Sound:  I can't use the sound-properties capplet in control-center.
> When I try to run it from the command line with "sound-properties
> --enable-sound" I get a window which tells me that sound was not
> compiled with this copy of GNOME.  Is there something special that I
> have to do to compile sound in?

I had that problem.. I had to manually put define HAVE_ESD 1 in the
config.h and recompile it.  I've had esd for a while, but for some reason
it didnt pick it up.  didnt investigate, just went on.

> 2.    Panel scrolling:  Whenever I click on the hide on the hide panel
> button, the panel flickers a little, for about as long as it takes to
> scroll away, and then disappears.  The show panel button appears, but
> not where it is expected.  It appears it all sorts of weird places, like
> attached to a window somewhere, or attached to the top bar of e.
> Showing the panel works without a hitch.  Scrolls in nicely into place.
> So I don't know.  Any hints?

I had this behavior too.  Would hide the panel from the left and it would
jump to the upper left corner of the screen, with about 10% showing, but
no applets.  Hide it from the right end and it shows up in the upper right
corner, about 2 panels widths down, and all BUT 10% showing.  After
un-hiding, it showed up on the gnome-pager as a running task "Panel", even
though it wasnt supposed to..  After that I could even shade it (and it
really did shade, but to a 5 pixel high black bar), and iconify it to the
gnome-pager.  Pretty strange.

I updated last night, now no hiding works at all, unless I have that
panel's properties open, try to hide it, change the hidebutton's
properties (ex. remove hidebutton arrows), and apply the changes, then it
hides, until I do that again, then its back.  Seems to be not updating
properly.

> I run Redhat 5.2, Xfree86 3.3.3, everything from CVS, including
> enlightenment.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Marshal.

sar

If God is One, what is bad?
                -- Charles Manson

Death has been proven to be 99% fatal in laboratory rats.