Panel scrolling and sound problems

Hi,

I recently (99/02/09 I think) checked out gnome from CVS and installed
it.  Compilation went pretty much without a hitch.  I just have a few
problems:

1.  Sound:  I can't use the sound-properties capplet in control-center.
When I try to run it from the command line with "sound-properties
--enable-sound" I get a window which tells me that sound was not
compiled with this copy of GNOME.  Is there something special that I
have to do to compile sound in?

2.    Panel scrolling:  Whenever I click on the hide on the hide panel
button, the panel flickers a little, for about as long as it takes to
scroll away, and then disappears.  The show panel button appears, but
not where it is expected.  It appears it all sorts of weird places, like
attached to a window somewhere, or attached to the top bar of e.
Showing the panel works without a hitch.  Scrolls in nicely into place.
So I don't know.  Any hints?

I run Redhat 5.2, Xfree86 3.3.3, everything from CVS, including
enlightenment.

Thanks!

Marshal.